Friday, September 23, 2016

Lessons From The Family



My grandfather, Darrel Duggins, and my grandmother, Ilsa Roosberg, were married on June 13, 1962. They had 7 kids--3 girls and 4 boys. My mother, Louise Duggins, was the first of the seven.
My mom and father were married in early December and out of this Union 3 kids were born--Michael, N'kili (Me), and Kareem.

When I think of culture I think art, dress, traditions, tangible objects or behaviors—things that you can see that are obviously different from others.  What’s interesting though is that much of culture is actually invisible.
Much of our learning of culture occurs subconsciously. We are rarely aware of the cultural messages we receive. They are so subtle that we hardly notice these messages and lessons coming in or acted out. Most of the time it takes exposure to another culture to realize what has occurred. For example people on my island are extremely nosey. Which probably makes me nosey too but I hadn’t realized that until I started living in the United States. I remember during my freshman year of college I was sitting in my room with my roommate and her friends. At that time, my roommate’s friends and I had been mere acquaintances. They were talking and you could say I was eavesdropping but in my mind I was a part of the conversation. Why else would they speak so loudly if they didn’t want me to hear? The conversation changed to gossip. They were talking about someone and I had missed their name. It was really juicy and they had gotten really animated. I really wanted to know who they were talking about so reflexively I blurted out, “who are you talking about?” They looked at me strangely, like they had forgotten I was in the room and like it wasn’t any of my business. I guess it wasn’t but back on my island I wouldn’t have gotten such a reaction regardless if they were acquaintances or friends.


Globalization, in terms of family, has its advantages, such as creating job opportunities and an increase in cultural awareness and it also has its draw backs. Workers leave their families and move from one country to another in order to seek jobs or higher pay in order to support their families. This in return changes family structure and dynamics. Stress is placed on parents, children, and other family members. And in some cases families are split up due to parents not being legal citizens leaving children behind. 

On my island I have seen globalization in action. With the creation of our oil terminals, men from different parts of the world were hired. With the extra men on the island a whore house (we call it the Nest) was established. Women from different countries were hired to work there. The local men were also participating at The Nest. It got so in depth that many local men left their wives to pursue relationships with these women. As a result their families were broken up. However, there was some good that came out of it. Many of the women working at the Nest had left their families behind.  The men that left their wives married the women and  this provided  them with the means  to bring their families to the island. 

When parents adopt a child trans-culturally, assimilation into the new culture is necessary. I believe that will occur without much conscious effort. It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure that the child has contact and knowledge of his or her birth culture. Children of trans-cultural adoptions tend to either feel “separate from” or “apart of.”  Without a connection to their own roots these kids may feel separate from families or friends that look different than they do.  They may also feel separate from people who look like they do and share’s their cultural background but who they ultimately feel no connection to because of their lack of knowledge and contact with their own culture. Parents, who ensure that their child has contact and knowledge of his or her culture helps them develop a sense of identity. 

8 comments:

  1. I love your point about not realizing your culture is actually engrained as culture until you're somewhere that the culture is different and what's normally normal is completely wrong. That's a great example of how culture can be so invisible. This has happened to me with the Adventist culture when I went to school in London for a semester. I mentioned something about wanting a can of hot dogs and my roommate looked at me and said, "Your hot dogs come in a can?" I hadn't realized that was "weird" until I left the Adventist culture. When my oldest was little, her dad was a stay-at-home dad and I worked full time. When she played house, the mommy went to work and the daddy stayed home and made food and cleaned the house and took care of the baby. Opposite of most kids when they play house. But what she knew to be true in her life was seen as "normal" to her--that was the culture she knew and understood. It's really amazing think about the things we probably all still take for granted as "normal" that are merely cultural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. N'Kili. I must admit. this is my first time visiting your blog. In truth I am still making my way around to the other blogs and I hope to get to them soon. I read your first blog some of your second and of course your third and I must say that I really like your writing and your stories. I really got a sense of your island as you described the situation concerning the families, the oil terminals and "the Nest." Globalization has its "winners" and "losers" indeed. Thank you for sharing and I will stay tuned. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. N'Kili, I was laughing when I read about the experience you had with your roommate, and being nosey, I agree with you, if you weren't part of the conversation they should have gone else where to gossip! LOL.
    But It was nice getting to know about your culture and all the opinions you have about things. I liked your point about cultures being visible and invisible and also when parents adopt a child trans-culturally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi N'Kili! You explained the reality of culture so well. It is something that is so subtle that we miss it. Its like saying the small things in life matter the most. This is clearly seen here culture shows it self it the small things but it is the collection of them that make up so much of who we are. Thanks for sharing.

    Rebecca S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing about your cultural background N'Kili, it was so nice to understand a bit more about your country!
    LĂ­sye

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if being "nosey" and "gossiping" are cultural traits that survived the Middle Passage? They are common in several other islands as well! The impact of globalization on your island is quite prominent, given its size. I hope the positive effects will outweigh the negative ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked how you started with an example of intercultural communication in your own life. I can definitely resonate with your experience of thinking a certain behavior or attitude is normal but to others it might be foreign or weird. This has happened to me on multiple occasions and all I can say is that it will continue to happen but I'm glad you learned from the situation and didnt let it get you down.

    ReplyDelete